If you have browsed on the many different gemstone engagement rings, you will notice that garnet is one of the most popular choices. Some sellers, like EraGem, have a great selection of rings fit for this special occasion. In this article, we will discover why garnet is a perfect fit for your engagement ring and why you should try it.
What is Garnet
In reality, garnet is not a single gemstone, but it is rather a mineral species. It means that you can find different types of garnet with small differences. The most notable deviation from one type of stone to the other is the color. The garnets you are going to find in the stores are red in their majority; however, you can also find orange and green ones. Apart from the eye-catching color, garnet has another advantage that makes it the ideal stone for an engagement ring. It is a fairly durable gemstone, and this makes it good for everyday use. It stands at 6.5-7.5 at the Mohs hardness scale. If you also take into consideration that it is much more affordable than other gems, then you realize that you don’t have any reason to hesitate.
The Meaning of Garnet
Garnet is the birthstone of January. Its deep red color has connected this gemstone to many meanings, most of which are fit for your special day. First of all, garnet symbolizes love, fire, passion, all things that are desirable in a wedding. Other meanings that have been attached to this stone is that it stands for success both in life and in business, fertility, high energy, and popularity. Garnet is a stone that will accompany you throughout your life and remind you of your special bond with your significant other.
Different Types of Garnet
There are many different types of garnet, although just a few of them are most commonly found on engagement rings. Here, we will take a look at some of them:
- Almandite: the vast majority of the engagement rings with garnet use almandite. It is a stone of deep and transparent red hue.
- Rhodolite: this type of garnet is unique, as its color is distinctive. Rhodolite possesses a soft violet-red hue that makes it ideal for a ring.
- Tsavorite: among the garnets, tsavorite is the most precious and luxurious one. It usually comes in smaller stones. Tsavorite is characterized by a green color that makes it look like an emerald.
- Pyrope: this fiery gemstone comes in a blood-red color that catches the attention. It also has some violet-red and black red hues, while in rare cases, you can find it in blue and color-changing hues.
- Spessartite: This is an orange-yellow garnet that has risen in popularity in recent years.
Best Cuts for Garnet Jewelry
The cut of your garnet jewelry stone depends on the color you have chosen. Namely, for deep colors, the ideal cuts are the round, pear, marquise, oval, heart, and cushion cuts. On the other hand, if you want to highlight the different tones of your stone, you should go for an emerald, princess, or radiant-cut.
Garnet is nowadays considered one of the best gemstones from engagement rings. Explore the different colors and styles of this stone and choose the one that best symbolizes this happy occasion.