An argumentative essay is a type of essay that presents arguments about both sides of an issue. It could be that both sides are presented equally balanced, or it could be that one side is presented more forcefully than the other. It all depends on the writer, and what side he supports the most. The purpose of an argumentative essay is to persuade the reader to see the essay topics through the author’s point of view. An argumentative essay should be based on three major sets of skills of any good student: research skills, communication skills, and critical thinking.
Step-by-Step Instruction on How to Type an Essay
1 Choose a Topic
Choose an interesting topic that you feel strongly about, and that has two or more sides to it. If you’re looking for hot topics for argumentative essays, we’ve listed some of the best topics for essay of this type below:
- Should the minimum wage be increased?
- Should the death penalty be abolished?
- Should gun control laws be tightened?
- Should the US adopt a single-payer healthcare system?
- Should students be required to wear school uniforms?
- Should the government censor internet content deemed inappropriate?
- Should the voting age be lowered to 16?
- Should the US adopt a “right to work” law?
- Should college athletes be paid?
- Should marijuana be legalized?
- Is social media making us more isolated?
- Are beauty pageants exploitative?
- Is the internet making us more narcissistic?
- Should animals be used for scientific testing?
- Should the US embargo on Cuba be lifted?
- Should the US increase tariffs on imported goods?
- Should the US increase funding for public education?
- Should the US end the war on drugs?
- Should the US government impose a carbon tax?
- Is the criminal justice system biased?
2 Research Your Topic
Do some research on both sides of the issue. Make sure you have a good understanding of both sides of the topic so you can effectively argue your point of view and debate even the most popular essay topics like a pro.
3 Develop Your Thesis
With strong argumentative essay topics in mind, it’s important to come up with a solid thesis statement. Your thesis statement should make a clear and concise claim, even if you’re dealing with the most controversial essay topics. This should be your opinion on the topic.
4 Create an Outline
Your outline should include your main points based on the argumentative essay topic that you choose, the evidence you will use to support those points, and any counterarguments you want to address.
5 Write the Essay
Begin your essay by introducing the controversial essay topic. Be sure to include your thesis statement in the introduction. Use evidence from your research to support your points, and address any counterarguments. Make sure to provide a conclusion that ties everything together.
6 Proofread and Edit
Read through your essay several times to ensure that it is well-written and free of any errors. Make sure to check for grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors.
Regardless of the topics for argumentative essays that you choose to explore, it is important to ensure your essay complies with the existing writing and formatting styles. Every essay should have an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The introduction should include the thesis statement. There, you should include a brief summary of the main points of the essay. The body paragraphs should include evidence to support the thesis statement. The conclusion should summarize the main points of the essay and provide a final thought or opinion. The formatting of an essay should include margins, line spacing, font size, font type, and other elements such as headers, footers, and page numbers. All elements should be consistent throughout the essay. If you fail to do that, feel free to look for help at a cheap writing service like affordablepapers.